The weather outside is frightening… and by frightening I mean 85 and 100% humidity. You know the kind where your towels or skin never dries?? Well we do not have A/C so I am dying over here. Yeah Yeah, I live in Kauai, get over it you say. Well to each their own right?? I have been living off frozen desserts and smoothies, 1.) So I use the oven less and 2.) Because who doesn’t love frozen desserts and yummy smoothies.
This recipe is the perfect addition for those upcoming Summer BBQ’s.
The best part?
It is vegan and mostly allergen friendly. And by that I mean, it is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and egg free. Trust me, all of your cow and gluten eating friends will never tell the difference!
And if you make it, please let me know! Either on Facebook or comment below!
- 1 Cup Soy Free Earth Balance Vegan Butter (can use regular butter if not vegan) divided to make 2 half cups
- ½ Cup Sugar plus 3 T. (divided)
- 2 t. Maple Syrup
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- ½ t. Baking Soda
- ¼ t. Salt
- 1½ Cups Gluten Free Flour Blend (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, cream ½ cup of butter, ½ cup of sugar, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Add cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir until combined.
- Gradually add flour ½ Cup at a time.
- Press dough onto cookie sheet (does not need to be greased).
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Scoop out the cookie with a spatula (it will break into pieces don't worry), and place into a food processor.
- Add last ½ cup of butter to food processor.
- Pulse until crumbly.
- Press into greased pie dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Viola! The perfect gluten free vegan graham cracker cookie crust!
- 2½ Cups Unsalted Cashews Soaked (see note below)
- 12 Dates Pitted and Soaked (see note below)
- ¾ Cup Key Lime juice (see note below)
- ¾ Cup Coconut Cream (see note below)
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1½ T. Lime Zest (finely grated)
- Place cashews, dates, lime juice, and coconut cream in Vitamix or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Spoon into bowl and stir in sugar and lime juice.
- Spread into even layer on prepared crust.
- Freeze 3 hours to overnight depending on how solid you would like your pie. My husband loved it at 3 hours but I preferred it frozen.
-For Coconut Cream you can buy Trader Joes Coconut Cream in a can or take one can of full fat coconut milk and place it in the fridge overnight. This separates the cream from the water. Once it has solidified, carefully open the can and scoop out the cream. One can produces roughly ¾ of a cup of coconut cream.
-For the key lime juice, I had squeezed roughly 30 key limes, can substitute regular lime juice, AND despite what other people say, YOU CAN TELL the difference ;)
P.S. If you are going all out, make the whipped cream below, it is worth dying for!!!
- ¾ Cup Coconut Cream (see note)
- ¼ Cup Vegan Powdered Sugar (here is the one I use)
- Place coconut cream and sugar in medium mixing bowl.
- Use whisk or electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until soft peaks form.
- Can store in fridge for 4-5 days (if it lasts that long!)